Saturday, April 7, 2012

American Association of Rabid Persons? Rude Persons?

Dear Hotel Guests,

Your AARP card expired over a year ago. Only current members are able to take advantage of discounts associated with membership.

If you have a valid card, hand it over, because the discounts are great! On the contrary, if you tell me that you are unable to provide documentation to prove you are in fact still a current member I cannot give you the discount. Makes sense to me, but apparently It is rude and unnecessary to get angry at me, because “no one anywhere has ever asked you for the card before.”

If other places have no issues with you ripping them off, that’s their prerogative. I, however, am doing my job correctly, and have no qualms about only honoring current cards. And, no, your birthday on your license isn’t sufficient. Being 65 doesn’t automatically make you a member of AARP.

I don’t make the rules. I just enforce them, one fake retiree card at a time! It’s probably best I don’t make the rules.

Sincerely,

Friendly Neighborhood Desk Clerk-

P.S. The little card you receive in promotional mailings from AARP that says your name on it and “Respond by June 12, 2011” does not count as a valid membership card. That would be like using the sample credit card that the send you in the mail. Not allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment